Online Nursing Degrees at Northern Illinois University
Your Future. Our Focus.
Request More Information
Complete this form to receive information about coursework, admissions, tuition and more.
Note: All fields required.
Flexible Nursing Programs With 100% Online Courses
Continue your nursing education in a flexible format with Northern Illinois University. We offer online programs at the undergraduate and doctorate levels, preparing you to thrive in nurse leadership or advanced practice. You don’t have to relocate to receive a top-quality nursing education. NIU offers online programs with impressive rankings from U.S. News & World Report and accreditation from the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). You can study full or part time — select the schedule that helps you succeed in your classes and career.
With NIU, you can take a direct path to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing or Doctor of Nursing Practice degree. Each program offers small class sizes and guidance from experienced faculty, giving you the knowledge and skills to reach your potential as a nursing professional.
- Named one of the top three universities in Illinois in 20211.
- Recognized as one of Illinois’ top 10 accredited nursing schools in 20222.
- Received the 2021 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award from INSIGHT Into Diversity3.
Online Nursing Programs
Discover the degree program that propels you to the next phase of your nursing career.
This online program enables registered nurses to access more career opportunities by acquiring a bachelor’s degree in nursing. NIU’s experienced faculty will prepare you to integrate evidence-based care into your practice, provide population-focused care and move into nursing leadership. In addition to flexible online courses, this program includes a practicum that you can complete with your current employer.
- Credit Hours: 28.
- Cost Per Credit Hour: $354.07.
- Time to Completion: Finish in as few as 12 months (full time).
- Accreditation: CCNE.
Take your nursing education to the highest level, becoming an expert in a specialized area of advanced nursing practice. With this online program, you’ll learn to lead evidence-based practice with the skills to formulate and implement patient care plans. At the same time, you can begin harnessing new approaches to care delivery and advanced nursing practices to improve patient outcomes and safety.
- Credit Hours: 35.
- Cost Per Credit Hour: $743.60.
- Time to Completion: Finish in as few as two years (full time).
- Accreditation: CCNE.
Quality Education That Supports Your Aspirations
NIU focuses on empowering your success through educational excellence and experiential learning. You will benefit from small class sizes and receive the faculty guidance needed to thrive in your career and life. Our online programs are an engine for innovation, preparing you to transform the world through research, artistry, teaching and outreach.Request Info
Online Programs for Your Goals and Schedule
With NIU’s online programs, you can seek a high-quality degree no matter where you are. While you study online, we’ll provide the support and resources to propel your success and make your education personal. Collaborate with your classmates and faculty using the same technology that delivers your coursework and use the helpful services available to on-campus students. This includes dedicated career support even after you graduate as well as access to NIU libraries and online resources.
Learn From Experienced Faculty in a Convenient Format
To reach your potential as a nurse, it helps to learn from nurse leaders with extensive experience. With NIU’s online nursing programs, you’ll take engaging online classes taught by faculty with professional backgrounds across the health care sector. Through their guidance, you’ll develop advanced techniques for improving patient care while getting the flexibility needed to meet your current work and personal obligations. For added convenience, registered nurses seeking your B.S. in Nursing can complete your practicums with your current employer and we offer assistance in finding a local placement.
Qualify for Nursing Positions That Hospitals Need Most
Nursing professionals with advanced training are in high demand, taking on vital roles in clinical, administration and research settings. While registered nurse employment is projected to grow 6% from 2021 to 2031,4 advanced practice registered nurse hiring is on track to grow 40% during that timeframe.5 With NIU’s online nursing programs, you can earn an undergraduate or doctoral degree that positions you for rewarding careers throughout the health care sector.
Average Salary by Nursing Education Level
- Associate Degree Nursing: $73,000 per year6.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing: $89,000 per year7.
- Master of Science in Nursing: $98,000 per year8.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice: $107,000 per year9.
Request More InformationRequest Info
- uniRank. Top Universities in Illinois: 2021 Illinois University Ranking. Retrieved July 14, 2022, from https://www.4icu.org/.
- NursingProcess.org. Nursing Schools in Illinois – 2022 Rankings. Retrieved July 14, 2022, from https://www.nursingprocess.org/.
- NIU Today. “Award honors NIU as a top college for diversity.” Retrieved July 6, 2022, from https://niutoday.info.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Registered Nurses. Retrieved September 13, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov/.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Nurse Anesthetists, Nurse Midwives, and Nurse Practitioners: Job Outlook. Retrieved September 13, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov/.
- Payscale. Associate Degree Nursing (ADN) Degree. Retrieved July 14, 2022, from https://www.payscale.com/.
- Payscale. Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Degree. Retrieved July 14, 2022, from https://www.payscale.com/.
- Payscale. Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Degree. Retrieved July 14, 2022, from https://www.payscale.com/.
- Payscale. Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Degree. Retrieved July 14, 2022, from https://www.payscale.com/.